Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Import Sony NEX-5R AVCHD 1080P/1080i to FCP (X) for editing
12-13-2012, 06:49 PM

summary: You may have used Sony NEX-5R and recorded some AVCHD videos, read this article you can get better method to change Sony NEX-5R AVCHD to Final Cut Pro (X) support format for editing on Mac Mountain Lion.

Sony NEX-5R captures HD Movies in your choice of super-smooth 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, all at Full HD 1920x1080 resolution. The AVCHD codec delivers stunning picture quality while the MP4 codec lets you compress to smaller files for easier upload to the web.

"I can't get FCP 7 or FCP X to import AVCHD (with Sony NEX-5R) shot in 1080 60p. In FCP 7, when using Log and Transfer, I can see all the clips on my card (or FMU), but the material shot in 60p doesn't have an icon present. When I click on it, it tries to transfer, but ends up with an error. In FCP X, when using Camera Import , it doesn't even show my clips shot 60p."

Well, in fact, it’s not a “fresh” problem we’ve met when getting 1080 60p/50p AVCHD clips into FCP. 1080p50/1080p60 is unsupported in Final Cut Pro (X), because it is a very non-standard format. Plus, AVCHD is not a good edit format for Final Cut Pro (X), but Apple ProRes is. So, you’d better convert Sony NEX-5R AVCHD MTS/M2TS files to ProRes no matter for Final Cut Pro (X).

Tutorial on importing Sony NEX-5R AVCHD to Final Cut Pro (X) on Mac

1. Go to download and install the best MTS Converter for Mac to make the transcoding task without quality loss, which offers you particular Apple ProRes profiles for Final Cut Pro. Then launch the software to import your AVCHD clips to it.

2. Click on the Format box to select Final Cut Pro > Apple ProRes 422(*.mov) as the output format. If you want to get the best video quality for editing in FCP, you can choose ProRes 422 (HQ) (*.mov).

3. You can click the Settings icon to do some audio/video settings. We recommend 1920*1080 as video size and 30fps as video bitrate for easier editing in Final Cut Pro (X). If you are in PAL(50p) area, you are recommended 25fps as video bitrate.

4. Hit the Convert button; it will convert Sony NEX-5R AVCHD to ProRes for Final Cut Pro (X) on Mac immediately.

When the conversion process shows in 100% with the top AVCHD to ProRes Converter Mac, you can get the resulted videos from output folder easily for importing and editing in Final Cut Pro (X).

Learn how to convert AVCHD to ProRes 422 for FCP, please visit this video on YouTube.

If you want to burn your vivid videos to DVD disc or ISO files for backup or storage, you can take a try on Pavtube DVD Creator, which is a great DVD burning software, you can take this AVCHD to DVD guide for example. Now pavtube starts Christmas promotion! If you buy any converter product, you will get DVD Creator for free, and get other software at up to 40% off.

Read more:
Sony AVCHD to Avid DNxHD
Sony AVCHD MTS/M2TS to iMovie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  sony BenZx23 2 3,679 11-20-2011 09:53 PM
Last Post: ShunKoi